The Monastery of San Martin Pinario is the place where all the CA academic activities would take place. The monastery consists of two cloisters, made in the eighteenth century. Outside, highlights the main facade, designed by Fray Gabriel de las Casas. Its privileged location is in the heart of Santiago, just behind the Cathedral.
The classrooms are in the area called “Caballerízas” in the basement of the monastery where in the past the stables were located. The classroom spaces are full of character located inside San Martín Pinario, a monastery from the XVI century.
SAN MARTIN PINARIO, Plaza de la Inmaculada, 3, 15704 Santiago de Compostela. SPAIN
The CA Institute can provide accommodations in one of the dormitories of the University of Santiago. The dormitories are in the Southern part of the university campus. The facilities at the dormitory building include: a common kitchen, a washing/dryer room, a small computer room. Each room has a single bed, a table and its own private bathroom.
Security employees in any of the dorms are available 24 hours, 7 days of the week in any of the dorms.
The main student dormitories are:
. MONTE DE LA CONDESA, Campus Vida, s/n, Ph.: (+34) 881 813 531. South Campus
. FONSECA, Plaza Rodríguez Cardarso. Ph.: (+34) 881 81 43 76 South Campus
. BURGO DAS NACIONS, Av. Burgo das Nacións, Ph.: (+34) 881 811 952. North Campus
. CASA EUROPA Hotel, Parque Vista Alegre, Rúa Salvadas s/n. Ph. :(+34) 881816300. South Campus -Relatives to the students can also stay in Casa Europa Hotel but they must book it on their own
Medical emergency : 061 – Santiago & Galicia - Local police : 092 . –for any city in Spain-
CA institute does not have any emergency phone number but in case any emergency and after contacting any of the previous phone numbers you should also send an email to: email@example.com and the organization will respond you as soon as possible.
The Airport of Santiago –SCQ- is located 12 kms away from the centre of the city of Santiago de Compostela.
BUS from Santiago Airport: There are buses every 30 minutes from the exit of the Departure Area of the airport, and they start at 6 am until midnight.
Bus company: FREIRE · http://www.empresafreire.com
Bus stop in Santiago: Plaza de Galicia
(The bus stop is 800mt away from the University Residences located at the South Campus – Campus Sur - of the Universidad de Santiago –www.usc.es-.
FARES: BUS from the airport : 3 euros -30 minutes ride- TAXI: 20 euros -20 minutes ride-
OTHER INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS : A Coruña, Spain: – LCG- (60 kms) | Vigo, Spain: - VGO - (90 kms) | Porto, Portugal: – OPO - (230 kms)
TRAIN: Spanish railroad company: RENFE. -www.renfe.com- There are connections by train from Santiago to the main cities in Spain
San Martín Pinario Monastery lavish stands in “ Plaza de la Inmaculada”, only a few meters away from “ Azabachería façade ” of the Cathedral. Construction began in the last third of the XVI century and ended two centuries later, the late XVIII century. A mid-nineteenth century was no longer monastery and, at present, is seat of Major
Seminary of Santiago's Archdiocese; of Compostelan Theological Institute and the School from Social Work, dependent of the University of Santiago and the Archive Diocesan. Some facilities are dedicated to different residence hall and administrative units related to the Church, as well as a guest. The monastery is, together with the Cathedral, the most valuable set Galician Baroque, and the second largest in Spain, after El Escorial (Madrid).
The monastery was founded by some Benedictine monks who have settled in a place called “ Pinario” after the discovery of the Apostle's remains, near the chapel called Corticela (now integrated into the Cathedral volume, and which is accessed by Azabachería door). “ Pinario ” name comes from the pines that were in this place where monks built their first chapel in the XI century. The group began its further development in 1494 under dependence of congregation of Valladolid, five years before of the foundation by Catholic Kings in 1499, of the Royal Hospital, now converted into Parador de los Reyes Católicos –Luxury hotel- Until late of XI century the monks acquired enough wealth to begin construction of monastery, whose works began in the church.
The monastery is of great simplicity, broken only by the facade, which is accessed by a grand staircase from the Plaza de la Inmaculada and leaving behind the Cathedral, a few meters.
The facade is divided into three parts with a central shaft flanked by two large canvases of four floors. Tower of five bodies helps break the monotony. The baroque façade in the centre, with a span of lintel entrance is guarded by two pairs of huge Tuscan columns. Above is the statue of San Benedicto and the ball flew. At the top stands the structure added by Fernando de Casas in 1738, with the arms of Spain between scallops and the figure of San Martín de Tours sharing his cloak with a poor.
The monastery has two cloisters, one is denominated of the Office and the other is the main, called of the Reception or the Processions.
The cloister of the goal in height has two floors connected by paired Tuscan columns giant torn from a high base, as a plinth, slightly sunken. The first floor is organized by six arches and in the upper lintels span are no balconies, with paired Doric columns in large spaces. This cloister is closed with the bell tower built in the Northwest.
The centre is occupied by a large fountain, which was transferred from a neighbouring yard.
Initially assigned to Casas y Novóa, it seems that the fountain was built by Fray Gabriel de Casas.
The faculty offices, which began in 1626 and concluded Lettuce Fernando Casas y Novóa in 1743, has two floors connected by paired columns. Its design separates from presenting the great cloister. In a rectangle, has six sections with the long sides and four smaller ones, which are separated by paired columns, connecting the two floors.